NATIONAL GALLERY/NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY

I hope, now that I'm back in London and I am now doing this whole blogging thing, I can start doing a series of my favourite places to visit in London. 

The first one to feature in this new series is the National Gallery and the neighbouring National Portrait Gallery. 

I first visited the National Portrait Gallery when I was in my first year of sixth form with my A level photography class. It was safe to say that I had fallen in love with the place. I don't think I could have spoken on behalf of everybody, but I, for sure, knew I had to visit again so I could spend as much time as I wanted with no limits or restrictions. 

Since moving to London in September 2015, I have visited the galleries numerous times, both on my own and with friends. However, it only got more exciting when the galleries announced that they were to now allow photography within in the buildings, except rightfully in the exhibitions. 

This meant that I was now able to not only see my favourite paintings and portraits in person, but I was able to capture them in real life, for me to enjoy over and over (I know you can do this by like googling the images and whatnot, but its not the same as it being my own image).

The best thing about being in London, and the reason I'm starting this series on this blog, is the ability to jut pop out to wherever you want, with no initial plans. Thats exactly what I did today, and ended up visiting yet again, the two galleries. 

My all time favourite things, secondary to looking and inspecting the paintings and portraits in fine detail, is watching other people do so. And then capturing that on camera. I took a couple of photographs like this today, for example: 





Yet, not one of these examples were my favourite from the day. Instead, it was this particular one (below) that as soon as I saw it, I knew I had to capture it. 


It just made me smile so much to stand there for a couple of minutes and watch this young boy take so much attention to the paintings in that particular room. It filled me with endless amounts of joy to see a younger generation be so interested in something so historic and classic. Awh. 

Not only do I love capturing the moments of people falling in love with the paintings on show, I love capturing the people in action, who are replicating and creating their own art, with whats already on display. Every time I have visited the galleries, I have always come across somebody who has set up shop and painted their own interpretations of the painting before them. This time, it was this guy:


I spent a good while just observing him and it was fascinating. He was completely in his own world, mesmerised by the painting as he planned out his own version, his own piece of art. It was wonderful. 

The obvious features to love about both the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery is, of course, the paintings and the portraits. But thats not all that sells it for me. I absolutely love, love, the architecture. 



The low lighting in the place, the purpose to preserve the paintings that are displayed, creates this wonderful atmosphere in each of the rooms, with the walls all being of different, yet corresponding colours. Gosh, I just love everything about this place. 

So, if anybody is ever in London, and you're looking to do something for free, I highly suggest that you visit the two galleries - even if art isn't your thing. 



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.